23 November 2017
Source: College of Optometrists
The College of Optometrists has reviewed and updated its Guidance for professional practice. This scheduled three-year renewal will bring the guidance in line with the General Optical Council (GOC) Standards, NICE and SIGN Guidelines.
• An updated section to address ‘social media and online behaviour’ in line with its increasing presence in day-to-day life
• An expanded complaints section to help members deal with complaints more effectively
• A new chapter on ‘examining patients with a disability’
• An update on prescribing tinted lenses
• An updated emergency referrals list. Minor updates in the ‘routine eye examination’, ‘record keeping’ and ‘contact lens’ sections.
The College of Optometrists’ Director of Policy and Strategy, Jo Mullin, said: “Together with the other optical bodies, the College has reviewed its guidance to ensure that it is up-to-date, conforms to new regulations and guidelines and is in line with current thinking. The Guidance is there to help optometrists apply the GOC standards in their daily practice.”
All optometrists can access the guidance at http://www.college-optometrists.org/guidance. Alternatively, the guidance is available through the Guidance of professional practice app, which members can download on all Apple and Android devices.
In early 2018, College members will be a sent an exclusive bound version of the guidance, produced in a handy size and format, with a comprehensive index – great for the consulting room or when on the move.
The College has developed a member briefing which explains the changes in full. You can access this on the College website: http://www.college-optometrists.org/memberbriefings.