24 February 2017
Source: International Centre for Eye Health and London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
On Monday 20 February 2017, the International Centre for Eye Health and London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine are re-running the successful free online course on Global Blindness with the help of its partners FutureLearn.
Join over 5,000 people who have already taken the course and register your interest at https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/global-blindness
What is this course about?
This free online course in public health for eye care will:
- Introduce the magnitude and causes of visual impairment and blindness at a global level,
- Relate to key global initiatives in avoidable blindness and
- Familiarise you with practical approaches to strengthen eye health services, with an emphasis on low and middle income country settings.
The course aims to support health professionals to consider the eye health needs within their populations.
Who should do this course?
- Professionals working in eye health: ophthalmologists, optometrists, clinical officers and ophthalmic nurses, clinicians.
- Non governmental organisation staff with an interest in limited resource settings.
- Medical and optometry students to understand how public health is applied.
- Educators in eye health to explore how public health can be applied in training programmes.
The course is taught by experts involved at many different levels of eye care services – from global and academic leadership to clinical and public health experts involved at the community level.
How does this online course work?
- Sign up for free – manage your own pace
- View videos and articles and learn from experiences shared by experts
- Participate in discussions – learn from conversations
- Test your understanding in regular quizzes
- Freely download, adapt and re-use the content
- On completion – purchase a certificate for your CV (optional).
Testimonials from participants
“ To me, the course played a very vital role as it empowered me with planning skills especially for VISION 2020 national and district planning… I have already started using the information on my daily activities as well as in planning. I would also like to thank my online colleagues for sharing the knowledge on their different settings concerning provision of ophthalmic services.” – Deborah Motsilenyane, from Botswana
“The flexibility of timings helped me to take the course while doing my work. The fact that material was available for me at my convenience, even after the end of the week was really useful.” – Shalinder Saberwal, from India, current MSc Public Health for Eye Care student.
Why not sign up as a team and study together! Click here to print or place this advertisement in your newsletters, notice boards or send it to your colleagues!
Course is here: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/global-blindness
International Centre for Evidence in Disability (ICED)
International Centre for Eye Health (ICEH)
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine