12 July 2019
Source: Nystagmus Network
In July 2019, the Nystagmus Network is celebrating after hearing the news they will receive a grant from Genetic Disorders UK, the national charity which organises the annual fundraising day, Jeans for Genes Day. This grant, from funds raised on the Day, will be used to fund the Nystagmus Network Big Adventure.
Nystagmus Network chairman, Richard Wilson OBE said: “This grant is wonderful news. It means we can fund an exciting event for our nystagmus children and their families.”
Genetic Disorders UK’s Jeans for Genes Day is an annual fundraising event when school children and office workers wear their jeans in exchange for a donation to the charity. Although, individually, genetic disorders are rare, together they affect 1 in 25 children. This means that more than 30,000 babies each year are born in the UK with a genetic condition. Sadly, genetic disorders and their associated health problems mean that they are the biggest cause of death of children aged 14 years and under. Funds from Jeans for Genes Day are granted to specialised charities to provide care and support for children affected by genetic disorders. This year the charity is encouraging supporters to pick a day that is best for them to hold their Jeans for Genes Day between Monday 16 and Friday 20 September.
The Nystagmus Network has chosen Wednesday 18 September as our Jeans for Genes Day.
Laura Pattison, Campaign Director at Jeans for Genes Day said: “We are delighted to be helping the Nystagmus Network support children with nystagmus. Our grant programme is open to all UK support groups and registered charities who work to improve the lives of children and families affected by genetic disorders. In 2019, 22 charities will benefit from the funds raised by the public on Jeans for Genes Day.”
Notes for Editors
- More information on the Jeans for Genes Day grant programme is available at http://www.geneticdisordersuk.org
- Jeans for Genes Day raises money for Genetic Disorders UK, a charity that provides much needed advice and support for individuals and families affected by genetic disorders. http://www.jeansforgenesday.org
- Jeans for Genes Day is an annual fundraising event, held from Monday 16 – Friday 20 September 2019. School children and office workers are encouraged to wear their jeans for the day in exchange for donations. http://www.jeansforgenesday.org
- Genetic disorders are caused by an alteration in DNA. This may mean that either a gene or several genes are missing, repeated or in the wrong order. Altered genes can affect a child’s senses, movement, ability to learn or appearance.
- The Nystagmus Network is a Jeans for Genes Day 2019 grant charity. They will receive a grant towards the Nystagmus Network Big Adventure.