This committee will focus on the specific needs of children and adults who have a learning disability, autism and the needs of those with dementia. It will provide a forum for learning disability, autism, dementia and sight loss orientated professionals to share information, plans and ideas about campaigns and work, thereby providing a unified approach to issues relating to vision, learning disability, autism and dementia across the UK.
In order to achieve the above the committee will devise an annual plan of work which supports the themes, values and goals of Vision UK. It shall be specific to the needs of children and adults who have learning disabilities, autism and those with dementia and their families and carers. It will outline the objectives and outputs which the committee agrees to undertake.
Objectives of the Committee:
• To provide a forum for dementia, learning disability, autism and sight loss orientated professionals to share information, plans and ideas about campaigns and work.
• To act as an information exchange/focal point for all forthcoming events and activities across all member organisations.
• To develop and promote a better understanding of the issues facing people affected by dementia, learning disability, autism and sight loss by presenting at events and seeking publications in relevant journals.
• To develop shared experience, knowledge, systems and resources which improve our organisations ability to provide information on dementia, learning disabilities, autism and sight loss to enquirers.
• To support and influence initiatives around dementia, learning disabilities, autism and sight loss, such as through joint working on product development.
The Committee’s focus is on issues relating to the concurrence of loss of vision and dementia/learning disabilities/autism This includes issues of visual perception that may be related to dementia/learning/autism disabilities and issues related to eye conditions, such as cataracts.
The Learning Disability, Autism, Dementia & Sight Loss Committee are a National Member of the Dementia Action Alliance dementiaaction.org.uk/members
Dr Renata Gomes, Blind Veterans UK
Bruce Gilson, Local Optical Committee Support Unit (LOCSU) and the Optical Bodies
Alzheimer’s Society (Angelo Makri / Sharon Beckett)
Association of British Neurologists (Alexander Foulkes)
Aston University (Doina Gerghel)
Blind Veterans UK (Jacqueline Ede / Paul Hartley)
British and Irish Orthoptic Society (BIOS) (Louise Allen)
Dementia Action Alliance (Sarah Tilsed)
Down’s Syndrome Association (Gillian Bird)
General Optical Council (Angharad Jones / Marie Bunby)
Guide Dogs (Lee Stanway)
Macular Society (Jessica Murray)
NHS England (Diane Dominico)
RNIB (Iain Kennedy [Scotland] / June Neil [Scotland])
Royal College of General Practitioners (Jill Rasmussen)
Royal College of Nursing (Anne Norman / Dawne Garrett / Jonathan Beebee)
Royal College of Psychiatrists, Old Age Faculty (Dr Stephen Orleans-Foli)
SeeAbility (Stephen Kill)
The College of Optometrists (Kathryn Saunders / Olivier Deneve)
The Royal College of Ophthalmologists (Jane Leitch / Paul Ursell / Rachel Pilling)
University College London (Dr Keir Yong / Dr Sebastian Crutch)
Visionary (Fiona Sandford)
Vision UK (Matt Broom)