Objectives of the Committee:
• To provide a forum for dementia, learning disability and sight loss orientated professionals to share information, plans and ideas about campaigns and work.
• To act as an information exchange/focal point for all forthcoming events and activities across all member organisations.
• To develop and promote a better understanding of the issues facing people affected by dementia, learning disability and sight loss by presenting at events and seeking publications in relevant journals.
• To develop shared experience, knowledge, systems and resources which improve our organisations ability to provide information on dementia, learning disabilities and sight loss to enquirers.
• To support and influence initiatives around dementia, learning disabilities and sight loss, such as through joint working on product development.
The Committee’s focus is on issues relating to the concurrence of loss of vision and dementia/learning disabilities. This includes issues of visual perception that may be related to dementia/learning disabilities and issues related to eye conditions, such as cataracts.
The Learning Disability, Dementia & Sight Loss Committee are a National Member of the Dementia Action Alliance dementiaaction.org.uk/members
Renata Gomes, Blind Veterans UK
Bruce Gilson, LOCSU and the Optical Bodies
Association of British Dispensing Opticians
Association of British Neurologists
Blind Veterans UK
The British and Irish Orthoptic Society
The College of Optometrists
Dementia Action Alliance
Down’s Syndrome Association
General Optical Council
Local Eye Health Network
LOCSU and the Optical Bodies
Royal College of General Practitioners
Royal College of Nursing
The Royal College of Ophthalmologists
Royal College of Psychiatrists, Old Age Faculty