30 September 2015
Source: VISION 2020 UK
VISION 2020 UK, the umbrella organisation which facilitates greater collaboration and co-operation between organisations across the eye health and sight loss sectors has this week held a seminar in London specifically for funders of eye research.
The inaugural Funders of Eye Research Summit (FundERS 2015) was created in association with Fight for Sight, the UK’s leading eye research charity.
The event was established to discuss and review the impact of the Sight Loss and Vision Priority Setting Partnership (PSP) which, working with the James Lind Alliance, was published in 2013 to set priorities for eye research as identified by patients, carers and eye health professionals.
The summit brought together a host of experts covering the eye research funding landscape and was chaired by Richard Wormald, Consultant Ophthalmologist at Moorfields Eye Hospital, and Michele Acton, Chief Executive at Fight for Sight.
VISION 2020 UK CEO, Mercy Jeyasingham, commented, “We were delighted to host such a timely and necessary seminar. Two years on, we felt it was important to review the PSP’s impact on shaping a patient-centred research agenda.”
Fight for Sight’s Research Communications Officer, Ade Deane-Pratt, hopes this will open the discussion on the future of UK funding for scientific and medical eye research to a wider audience. Ade said: “This is the first time that UK funders have come together in this way. It’s a great chance to make sure the PSP priorities continue to be addressed.”
Notes to editors:
- For further information, please contact Niall Ryan, VISION 2020 UK Communications Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information on VISON 2020 UK, please visit: https://www.visionuk.org.uk/
- VISION 2020 UK is the umbrella organisation which facilitates greater collaboration and co-operation between organisations within the UK, which focus on vision impairment and operate on a national, regional or international basis.
- VISION 2020: The Right to Sight is an initiative led in partnership by the World Health Organization, and the International Agency for Prevention of Blindness, for the elimination of avoidable blindness. http://www.iapb.org/vision-2020
- Fight for Sight is the leading UK charity dedicated to funding pioneering research to prevent sight loss and treat eye disease. We fund research at leading universities and hospitals throughout the UK. Fight for Sight’s current research programme is focused on preventing and treating age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, cataract, corneal disease and inherited eye conditions. We also fund research into the causes of childhood blindness and rare eye disorders. fightforsight.or.uk
Documents attached below: